Monday, April 19, 2010

Sardines in Tomato Sauce

Bait made delicious

I personally think the saltier the fish, the more delicious it is.  Sardines are kinda salty, but I gave these 21 sardines a good salt rub down anyway.  Also, why is there such a stigma against bait fish?  These pups are chalked full of good stuff, and they're delicious.

Okay, so the only thing I do not like about sardines is eating their guts, which makes me want to gag, becuase that means you are for sure eating something in the stages of shit formation, up to and including shit.  So, I just ran these guys under a steady stream of water, busted through their chest with my thumbs and pulled out the guts.  Then, I covered them with salt and fresh cracked pepper (kinda a lot of salt) and grilled them for about 6 minutes per side so they were crispy. 

The sauce I made was a bastard tomato sauce, with mexican flavors, to mimic the mexican canned sardines in town.  I took a whole pasilla pepper, jalapeno, 4 garlic cloves, 1 stalk of celery, one (lamentable) can of tomato sauce (I should have had four tomatoes on hand), and 2t cayenne pepper with some olive oil and threw that into the blender and blended.  I heated it up on the stove for as long as the sardines cooked.

Cover and garnish with cilantro.  I really enjoy this, chances are you would throw it up over the balcony after a shot of Sailor Jerry's.

No comments:

Post a Comment