Sunday, November 1, 2009

Hobo Paleo Chili

There has been some talk about chili recently. What, may I ask, makes chili 'chili'? Me and my conteperaries tried to answer this, but all we came up with was some lame fundemental: chili powder with stuff makes chili. Think about it, true historical chili is meat sauce and it has no beans, yet there is vegetarian chili. There can be corn, white beans, pinto beans, rice, turkey, tomatoes, and on and on in whatever we try to define as chili. The only thing that all of them have in common is chili peppers. So here is what can be called chili since it does technically conform to the "powdered chili peppers with stuff" fundemental.

Eat the Food Challenge: Meal 3
Ingredients:
  • 3p pork shoulder
  • 2 huge onions
  • 1p mushroom
  • 1 can chipotle peppers
  • 2T apple cider vinager
  • 3/2T tomato paste
  • 2c water
  • Lots of cayenne chili powder
  • Lots of cumin
  • Salt and Pepper TT
  • Head of Cauliflower

Cover the huge, uncut, pork shoulder in cayenne pepper, cumin, salt and pepper. Blacken in cast iron pan. Place into crock pot. Add sliced onions, peppers, vinager, tomato paste, water. Cook on high for 4 hours. Add mushrooms. Cook for another hour. Rip meat apart. Saute head of cauliflower. Serve chili over cauliflower.

Addendum: This dish blew Pamela, my good friend Aiste (eye-sta), and her bf Johny-poo away. I actually consider this a failure as a dish. This turned into a stew, I intended it as a semi-dry dish that I wanted to serve over spinach or lettuce as a taco salad. Nevertheless, Aiste texted me the day after thanking me for the delicious stew (she actually couldn't get it out of her mind and went in search of stew the next day) and Pam is horrified by the prospect of me never making this again (after all, I considered it mediocre, and a failure). I think the reason why they love it is because of the tremendous amount of pork fat in it, but who knows. Well, I know. Someone do the "Pepsi challenge": make this with pork loin and again with pork shoulder and tell me which one wins.

1 comment: