Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Grapefruit Chicken

So, I'm begining to think that some of this stuff must seem like it is way out there to some of you, but try to make one of these and you'll see its not really too hard. And, Jordan and I have a ton of grapefruits for some reason.

Peel one grapefruit and mince. Add 3/2T of minced rinds to mortar and pestle. Add 1t salt, 1t ground ginger, 1/2t ground lemongrass, 1t cayenne pepper, and enough olive oil to turn into paste. Add 1/2t sesame oil. Take a whole chicken and cut off excess fat, and detatch skin while leaving it on the bird. Cover bird with tons of pre-ground pepper and then cover with paste inside the skin and out. Rub supplemental grapefruit rind all over bird too. Roastisserie for 85 minutes.
The name says it all for this one: it is truly grapefruit flavored chicken. I thought it was good, not a life changing, come to Jesus moment, but a worthwhile experiment. If I had better side dishes that I could use grapefruit in, this could be some Iron Chef style shit. I'm stuck with what I have in my kitchen: sweet potatoes and asparagus. Maybe I could have tried harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment