Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Paleo Thai Dish 1, but Uniquely Thai Three?

Paleo Thai-Veggies


One of my favorite things to do is go out with my buddy Dave to Uniquely Thai 2 in the Johnson Drive food court every Friday: we call it Thai-Day Friday. Cute, right? We alwyas get pork pad-thai noodles and then spice the shit out of them with Thai Chilies: it is my favorite food right now. Then there was the Paleo Challenge and I have now been 5 or 6 weeks with no rice noodles and am going crazy for some effing Thai food. I needed to do something about it: learn to cook Paleo Thai.

You might just have to trust me on what I say in this post, not your normal combinations of flavors here.

Take copious amounts of canola oil and add a super liberal amount of crushed red pepper, (I'm a pretty heavy handed red pepper guy, so go heavy on the pepper) with a T of fresh minced ginger. Bring to heat. Stir fry one bunch (4-5 heads) of baby bok-choy cut into bite size pieces, and 1/2 of a diced onion. Add chopped basil, about 15 leaves. Shake on (I did six shakes back and forth with a new bottle) anchovy fish sauce. Add one coarsely cut beef steak tomato. Season to taste. Garnish with full leaves of cilantro.

I was skeptical, but it was awesome. I was amazed. I don't eat a lot of different Thai dishes, but this would have passed for Thai to anyone I gave it to. It was awesome. Learn new skills, what an idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment