Sunday, March 14, 2010

Pre-emptive St Paddy's Day Food Post: Corned Beef and Cabbage

I like my March 17ths like I like my women: seasonal, cheap and delicious

So, corned beef is on sale right now.  I love this stuff.  Normally it is super expensive but I bought the cut pictured here for $3.  That being said, it is easily the fattiest cut on the market (I have a better one for Wednesday, FYI). 

Corned Beef and Caggabe
This is a classic.  Unfortunately in the US, virtually all of our corned beef comes in bags with seasonings and cooking directions.  This is a quick (relatively) practice run.

Crush 5 cloves of garlice and saute in 2T+ super spicy home made olive oil.  Add an entire bunch of 1/4" thick sliced organic carrots (it seems like a lot).  Soften for 10 minutes.  Add 3p corned beef from cheap bagged beef,  add flavors (see note on bagged flavors below).  Cook with cover on for 15+ minutes.  Flip and cook for 15+ minutes.  Add 4c water and cook for another hour, flipping as required.  Add cut up cabbage 30 minutes before service.

Flavor bag: this is fairly simple: bay leaves, pepper corns, corriander (cilantro) seeds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment