Tuesday, March 30, 2010

God Made Anchovies for Me

Substitutes only serve to remind you that you do not have the object of your desire

I don't know if I've said it before here, but I'll say it again for the first time: don't fucking kid yourself about Paleo substitutes.  Spaghetti squash does not a spaghetti dish make.  Some bullshit crust doesn't satisfy like a sweet Wig & Pen "Flying Tomato" or Rusty's thin crust pizza.  Paleo alternatives pale in comparison;  they simply suck, and that only leads to more feelings of deprivation, which then leads to more junk food, because, seriously, why kid yourself?

With that being said, I have had a spaghetti squash for a while and simply wanted to use it, but I had no good ideas off the top of my head (having never made one before) so I went for the pasta substitute.  Unfortunately, it was a disaster, and then I did it again with a different sauce.  Insanely disastrous.  Live and don't learn, I guess.

Anchovy Pasta Sauce
This sauce is paleo and by itself, or on pasta, it is the effing truth.  Take 3-4T of olive oil, 3/2t crushed red pepper, 7 coarsely minced garlic cloves, and saute with salt (small amount now) and fresh cracked pepper.  Add a can of anchovies, oil and all.  Saute until they dissolve into the oil (literally).  Add two huge spoonfuls of capers and an 8oz can of tomato sauce.  Simmer briefly.

This is a rip off of a classic Italian dish.  Try it with fresh tomatoes, olives, mushrooms, or artichokes.  Also, try melting a hard cheese into it prior to tossing with traditional spaghetti.  (As an aside, traditional Italian cooking always ends up seeming way more oily than Americanized food, and as a supplemental aside, it is virtually always tastier).

My roommate's gf, who claims to hate anchovies, conceded that this sauce was re-donk.  With the spaghetti squash? It was fucking horrible.  I seriously only ate like 6 bites.

1 comment:

  1. Paleo "substitutes." You are spot on. And second the spaghetti squash debacle.

    ReplyDelete