Thursday, August 13, 2009

CSA: Farmer Fresh To You


I am a member of a Community Supported Agriculture (or CSA) group and receive a delivery every Wednesday directly to my office. A CSA is designed to keep your local farmer in business and ensure that you are eating the freshest locally grown fruits and veggies available. I like it because you are forced into using diverse foods that are often unknown and this makes me learn about them, and consequently makes me a better cook. I absolutely love it.
If you pay close attention to my recipes you will see how these ingredients get consumed each week! This weeks box included:


  • Thomcord grapes (quite possibly the best grapes I have ever had)

  • Six Valencia oranges

  • An sweet cantaloupe

  • Leeks

  • Oyster mushrooms (I've never had these before, and they are filled with buttery awesomeness)

  • Eggplants (three baby EPs)

  • A bag of mixed baby greens

  • Seven Early girl tomatoes

  • Beets with greens

  • Poblano and Anaheim chilies

  • A lemon

  • Garlic

  • Fresh Italian parsley
I paid $32 for all of that, and it was worth it! If you are interested in learning more, here is the contact information for my people at Farmer Fresh to You:

Lisette and Carol
Farmer Fresh To You
805.469.7604
http://www.farmerfreshtoyou.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment