Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Gigantic Piece of Beef a la Mitch

At one of the CFV BBQs my homeboy Mitch was pouring coconut milk all over his world famous tri-tips. I had never seen anything like this, nor had I ever considered anything like this, but his tips are great, and more importantly, they are universally loved. This was my first attempt at this chapter in the book of food.

Almost done, covered for the last time with coconut cream

Finished product
Take a gigantic piece of lean beef, coat in pepper, lots of red pepper, and salt. Cook, flipping like Mitch (i.e. when outside is semi-charred, flipping and basting, re-flipping and re-basting as required), until cooked through. On my gas grill (which is a pathetic substitute for an oak log Santa Maria BBQ), I cooked closed lid for 12minutes + Flip/Baste+ 12m +5+5 then open lid for 5+5. I let it rest for ten minutes and then crushed it.
It wasn't as good as Mitch's, but I learned a lot. Next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment