Monday, February 22, 2010

Hobo Paleo Hot Wings

I was at the grocery today after Globo and realized that I haven't made spicy wings since I started this blog, and that is actually quite odd, since that was a signature dish of mine.  I was literally famous (depends on the definition of 'famous') on two continents and well over four counties for my "Red Chicken."  BBQ?  Brandon, make the red chicken.  Wedding?  Brandon, make the red chicken.  Graduation?  Shut up Brandon and make the red chicken.  Seriously, it is easily the dish that I am known best for, and I don't think it has even crossed my mind since I started this paleo nonsense.  I'll give you the original and the knock off paleo first attempt (way off base, btw).

The Red Chicken
Take about 6-10p of cut up chicken (wings, or otherwise), and cover it with something called Pappy's Choice Seasoning (http://www.pappyschoice.com/), the Santa Maria style.  [Aside: Jesus, I just checked their website and they are selling that shit for $17/ 32oz.  I was paying $3.35 for that same thing at Costco, FYI.]  It is out of control good on seriously anything.  We did a Thanksgiving Turkey with it.  It is super forgiving and everyone has success with it, and if my memory serves me, is pretty natural (its like seasoned salt).  Cook chicken on a grill till crispy.  Toss with about 5:1 cayenne pepper sauce (Louisiana hot sauce: cayenne pepper, distilled vinegar, salt only) to soy sauce, or worcestershire sauce. 

I never understood what made it work, but it always worked.  Tailgates, bachelor parties (two), super bowls, fourth of julys, and seriously once a week for years and years.  I can't believe I haven't tried to make this yet.

Hobo Paleo Hot Wings
Coat the wings with salt and very coarsely ground pepper, lots of it.  Grill the wings crispy.  Toss with red pepper sauce, dehydrated onions (take it easy on these, or grind them into a powder), granulated garlic, pepper, dijion mustard, and apple cider vinegar mixed together.  The first word that came to mind when I tasted it was 'cute.'  They are good enough to impress novice wing eaters, like the BW3 crowd, but my dehydrated onions sucked the life out of my sauce.  I could eat 3/2 - 2 dozen in about two rounds.  I used to eat 5 dozen of the red ones in one sitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment