Sunday, July 25, 2010

Anaheim Stuffed Peppers with Peach Puree

I thought about calling these puppies Paleo Enchiladas, but, nah

The goal here was to make a delicious peachy-spicy meat filled dish, but it just wasn't peachy enough. There is a lot to be learned from this, so even though it didn't come out the way that I wanted it too, I'll share the journey and you can make awesome food from learning where others have failed.

I wet-chopped about 8 cremini mushrooms, and sauted those with a very thinly sliced onion and a pound of spicy Italian sausage. This was the major mistake of the day, the pre-spiced Italian sausage dominated every other flavor I could throw at this dish, and if I could have found ground pork (or even if I had defrosted some grass fed ground beef) it would have turned out much the way I had envisioned. Lesson: season your own meat. This is much like making you own salsa, or mayo, or anything. Make your own shit, its not hard and its way better.

Anyway, meanwhile, roast about ten Anaheim/Hatch chili peppers in a 400F oven for about 10-15 minutes or until they blister. Also meanwhile. puree two peaches in a blender until extremely smooth with skin either pulverized or removed (depending on blender). Here is another flailing attempt: peach flavor does not dominate food like peach candy does. Two solutions: add sugar, or reduce for hours. I added some peach puree to the meat/mushroom/onion mix and simmered for 15 minutes. Cool meat mixture. Cool peppers in cool water.

Cut the tops off the peppers, remove seeds, and stuff with meat mixture. I recommend not taking the skin off of the peppers for this enterprise. Most foodies want you to remove it because it is harder to eat, but those people normally do not stuff skinny long peppers (normally it is for sliced bell peppers or for rellenos). If you want to remove them before services, do it carefully. Re-bake for ten minutes and cover in peach puree and garnish with cilantro.

Very easy, could be amazing, but I missed the mark. Not peachy enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment