Sunday, June 13, 2010

Paleo Baked Almond Pork Chop

For easing back off of junk food, shake and bake style

I am in love with this dish. Maybe it is because I have been eating so much beef recently and anything not beef will make me drool, but I think I really like it because of the taste. The idea is to make a fairly crusty, yet moist, fatty and delicious pork chop. Sorry about the lack of precision here, it really makes no difference, but just make sure you can taste what you add, or what is the effing point?

I recently dried an entire bunch of fresh sage, and I used the vast majority in this dish. In a mortar and pestle, add the majority of a dried bunch of sage with a couple pinches of super coarse sea salt. Grind smooth, take out all large stems. Throw that into a shallow baking dish with (i'm guessing) 1/2c of almond flour. Then, since I also dried some fresh thyme, add some dried thyme! Also add cayenne pepper, dehydrated onions (which are awesome), black pepper, and maybe a little granulated garlic, if that is what you are into.

Drege chops, rinsed but not dried, through the mix on both sides. Bake for 15 minutes at 400F. These were thin chops so you have to adjust according to height, heat, fat rendering desires, quantity, etc.

Fantasticly good, paleo common

For me, the fat was crispy enough, the meat was moist, the flavoring was spicy, sage-ee and most importantly, delicious. I just gave a chop to my roommate to eat with chili. I ate it alone, and then later with soup covered in chorizo. Both were amazing. Although this recipe is far from anyone's consideration of gourmet, it is very good for comfort food.
My dad hates non-conventional foods (for the most part). He loves things like spaghetti, chicken wings, garlic bread, subway sandwiches, cheese, baked beans, and potato salad from the deli counter. All of those things are very very easy to make. In fact, they are so easy to make that you can make them, freeze them, sell them, thaw them, cook them, and then eat them off of paper plates.
My dad would love this dish. There are some hard nuts to crack for pro-paleo eating, and this might be the right hammer to bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment